Free LPN Training via Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

If you are considering a career in the field of Nursing then a position as a Licensed Practical Nurse may be exactly what you need. A Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse, depending upon your geographical location, plays a vital role in the care of patients. The L.P.N. is responsible for administering treatments and medications and is responsible to provide skilled nursing care to each patient according to their specific needs and according to the Dr.’s orders.  You may be wondering how you are going to pay for your education but there are several forms of financial support available.  One of these forms of financial aid is available via the Department of Labor.

The Workforce Investment Assistance Act was created in 1998 by the federal government, specifically for the Dept. of Labor.  This Act was passed in hopes of creating a stronger workforce by providing Incentive Grants to displaced workers and for people who are receiving assistance from the state.  The sole purpose of these Incentive Grants is to provide the opportunity of an education for those who otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford one and can help people to enter a position to provide for themselves.  The more workers you have equals less dependants, equals stimulation of the economy.  It’s quite a simple concept, really, and is good news for those who need a little help to get back on their feet.

The Application & Approval Process:

Not just anyone can submit an application for an Incentive Grant.  There are a few requirements that must be met before you apply.  You must provide proof regarding your current financial situation.  You may be asked to provide pay stubs if applicable, and all of your bills will be taken into consideration.  Basically, you will need to show that your living expenses exceed your income and that working as an L.P.N. will improve your financial situation.  If you are currently receiving social assistance then you will already have an idea how this works.   You should go to your local Dept. of Labor or employment assistance facility to submit an application.  You will be assigned a case worker to help you along the way.  He / She will tell you everything that you need to bring. You may be placed on a waiting list as well.  When you do get an appointment be sure to be on time and bring everything that your case worker tells you to have. If you are a male between the ages of 18 – 26 you will be required to sign up for selective service when submitting an application for an Incentive Grant.

Once you have submitted an application for a grant then you must wait for its approval.  If you are approved then you can choose which school you would like to attend.  A list of approved schools may be provided from the employment office that you received your grant through.  You will still be required to submit an application to the Nursing Program at your school of choice like everyone else.

There are grants and monies set aside specifically for those in need of financial assistance.  If you don’t take advantage of them then someone else surely will.  There is a way to stand on your own two feet and become self-sufficient.  An Grant from the WIA can help you to achieve your goals and can assist you to make your own way.  Don’t be afraid to ask for assistance in order to better your situation.  This money is set aside specifically for people just like you.  You can go to your local employment office to find out more information about Incentive Grants available in your state. Good Luck!

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply